Caramelised Onion Omelette with Goat’s Cheese
- For the caramelised onions, melt the butter and olive oil in a frypan over medium heat; add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes until onions are dark and slightly sticky, season with salt and pepper.
- Once cool, add the onions to the beaten eggs, along with ½ tsp thyme, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 200°C Fanned Grilled function.
- Place the breadcrumbs, melted butter, remaining thyme and parmesan in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine, set aside.
- In a medium ovenproof frypan, over a medium heat, add the 20gm butter to melt, then pour in the egg and onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until the bottom is golden; crumble over the goat’s cheese, followed by the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the frypan under grill and cook for 2-3 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden and crisp and the egg is set.
- Serve topped with dressed salad greens.
Recipe, Food Styling and Photography by Karen McFarlane, foodlove.com.au
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 20 gm unsalted butter, plus 50gm, melted
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, chopped and divided
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 50 gm mild goat’s cheese
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Watercress or rocket leaves to serve
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 20gm unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar