Fig and Almond Tart with Honeyed Ricotta
- Grease a deep 23cm loose-bottom tart pan with butter, then dust with flour and shake out the excess.
- For the pastry, place the butter and icing sugar in a bowl and beat with electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat followed by the flour.
- Form the dough into a disc shape, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for two hours.
- Roll pastry out between two sheets of baking paper to about 3mm thickness and refrigerate for another 15 minutes to firm up again then use to line the tart tin, trim excess pastry.
- Preheat oven to 170°C Fan Oven function.
- For the filling, beat butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy, gradually add eggs one at a time; fold in the flour, almond meal, a pinch of salt and the amaretto.
- Spread the fig compote over the base of the tart, then spoon over the filling and smooth the top.
- Arrange the fresh figs on top, cut-side-up (don’t push figs into mixture), and scatter over the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden and set. Cool completely and serve with a dollop of the honeyed ricotta and a dusting of icing sugar.
- Serves 8-10 people
Fig Compote (Makes about 3 cups)
- In a medium saucepan, place the figs, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and cinnamon and bring to a boil then cook, stirring often, uncovered over a medium-low heat for about 45 minutes until figs have broken down and the compote is thick and dark.
- Remove cinnamon quill and cool slightly before sealing in sterilised jars. Compote will keep for up to three months.
Recipe, Food Styling and Photography by Karen McFarlane, foodlove.com.au
- 250gm unsalted butter, softened
- 250gm caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 60gm (⅓ cup) plain flour
- 250gm almond meal
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur (optional)
- 1 ½ cups fig compote, recipe below
- 4 ripe figs, trimmed and quartered
- ¼ cup flaked almonds
Sweet Shortcut Pastry
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 100gm icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 200gm plain flour
- 300gm fresh ricotta mixed with 2 tbsp honey
- 1kg fresh figs, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 500gm caster sugar Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tspn vanilla paste 1 cinnamon quill