Liebherr - Food Wastage & BioFresh
Firstly I would like to point out that I generally only shop for what the family needs. I learnt a long time ago not to just ‘buy’ in case for dinner. I also learnt that shopping with a list is the best way to only buy what you need. But even with my habitual shopping habits, I still manage to find fruit or vegetables in my fridge that have wilted or have lost their fresh appeal. It is such a horrible waste of food (let alone the money), to see it end up in the bin.
So how do we end up wasting so much food? There are a number of potential reasons:
- We forget what is in our fridge (things get lost underneath each other!)
- We only needed ‘half’ of the vegetable or fruit for the recipe
- We opt for takeout instead of eating the meal we had planned
- We ‘feel’ like something else, so don’t make use all the ingredients we purchased
- The freshness of the food didn’t last quite as long as you thought it would
- We throw out excess food we’ve cooked, rather than thinking of ‘left over’ ways to use it
According to Food Wise we discard up to 20% of food that we purchase, with another estimated 20% to 40% of fruit and vegetables rejected before they even hit the supermarket shelves
The Australian ethical reported that as a nation we waste up to 1.3 billion tonnes of edible food each year and “to give you a visual picture, that’s enough waste to fill 450,000 rubbish trucks, which, stretched end to end, would bridge the gap between Australia and New Zealand just over three times.”
So how do we improve?
• We need to shop better – perhaps shop more frequently if we are regular culprits of last minute takeaway.
• Learn to use leftovers effectively. It doesn’t have to be the same meal for example turn left over spaghetti into a Bolognese pie!
• Expand our horizons – make a new soup every week with left over vegetables
• Invest in technology that can help preserve our fruits and vegetables such as Liebherr’s BioFresh refrigeration which can keep food fresher for up to three times longer than a conventional crisper drawer. Whilst the initial investment for a Liebherr BioFresh refrigerator might be more than anticipated, over the long term you will save money that you may have been literally ‘throwing in the bin’ every time you tossed not quite right foods in the bin.